Tombs of the Kings
The Tombs of the Kings are a large ancient Greek burial site which date back to 300 BC. They can be found 2km North West of Paphos harbour, travelling towards Coral Bay.
The underground tombs are carved from the solid rock and are thought to date back to the 4th century BC. They are believed to contain the remains of high officials and rich citizens and not kings as the name suggests. The name is given because of the impressive appearance of the tombs. Some are decorated with Doric pillars. Many are now just ruins, however there are some which are almost still completely intact and some have a central courtyard with rooms leading off it. It is possible to walk around the rooms of the tombs, once inside.
A visit to the Tombs of the Kings will take about half a day, depending on the weather. It is difficult to access for those in a wheelchair or anyone who has difficulty walking due to many uneven steps. There are no refreshments on site, so it is advisable to bring your own refreshments. There is also a small entrance fee.
Paphos Castle is located at the edge of Paphos harbour. Originally built as a Byzantine fort to protect the harbour, it was destroyed in an earthquake in 1222. It was rebuilt in the 13th century. In 1570 the Venetians destroyed it, however during the Ottoman reign, it was restored. Throughout the years it has served as a fortress, a prison and a salt warehouse during British occupation. There are fantastic views of the harbour from the top of the castle.
The Mosiacs of Paphos
This is a large site accessed near the harbour at Paphos. Discovered by accident in the 1960’s, are some very well preserved mosaic remains which are dated between the 3rd and 5th century AD. The mosaic floors can be seen in the Villa of Dionysos, Orpheus, Aion and Theseus where there are large areas covered with the mosaics spread over 14 rooms. The mosaics are formed from small cubes of marble stone with glass paste, and depict scenes from Greek Mythology. There are still some being excavated. There are also other remains on the site, such as theatres, old walls and a ruined fort.
This is located directly opposite the harbour and is believed to have been built in the 4th century BC. The theatre is partially built into a hill, and the rest is built on an artificial embankment on which stone seating is placed. It is thought to have been used as a theatre for over 700 years.
Temple of Aphrodite
This is situated at Kouklia village, 14 km east of Paphos. The ancient remains date back to the 12th century BC.
Rock of Romiou – Aphrodites Birthplace (Petra Tou Romiou)
According to legend, Aphrodite, Goddess of Love and Beauty, rose from the sea in this famous beautiful spot. She was born as adult and floated into land on a scallop shell. The Rock is located 25km east of Paphos and is free to visit.